“The Dirt Bag is an annual gravel grinder historically organized by the late John Egbers.” We have no idea when the first edition of the Dirt Bag was hosted, but the event has been around for many years, and is a true grass roots gravel event (and free with optional donation), which is what the sport was about, at least until recent times.
Maple Lake, Minnesota Ride Experience Video
Starting and ending in Clearwater, Minnesota, the event has three routes on offer; 36, 70 and 100 miles. Due to time constraints, JOM of the Gravel Cyclist crew, along with his partner, the Lady Gravel Cyclist, rode a variant of the 70 miler Dirt Bag. We drove to the southern most point of the route that offered convenient parking, that being the town of Maple Lake, Minnesota.
Quiet farm roads with rolling hills, and friendly locals, what’s not to love. The Dirt Bag event page on Facebook can be seen here – https://www.facebook.com/events/432646468861597/
Additional Minnesota gravel cycling fun can be seen at the MN Gravel Enthusiasts Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579219505656201
In a similar vein, if you enjoy true grass roots gravel events at no cost to you, and you happen to be visiting or in North Florida, check out the long-standing North Florida Freeride Gravel Series, going into its 11th year of running in 2022. The official Facebook page for NFFGS – https://www.facebook.com/norflafreeridegravelseries
Links of Interest:
- MN Gravel Enthusiasts – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579219505656201
- North Florida Freeride Gravel Series – https://www.facebook.com/norflafreeridegravelseries/
- All-New 2023 Trek Domane: Gravel Bike AND Endurance Road? (JOM’s bike in this video)
- Chris King GRD23 All-Road Wheelset with FusionFiber! (the wheels on JOM’s bike)
- Tailwind Nutrition – https://bit.ly/3eVogDT
- Gravel Cyclist’s Route Library