“Hand crafting the finest bicycles since 1990.”
With 25 years of experience, DEAN continues it’s trade by manufacturing award winning titanium and steel bicycles in Boulder, Colorado. Each bikes is custom tailored and precision handcrafted perfectly to match our customers body size and riding preferences.
Founded by two bicycle racers, they set out to produce the most technically advanced bicycles in the world. With this goal in mind, each and every frame is hand built using only the finest titanium available.
The DEAN Torrey pictured above, belongs to Rick Wiegert of North Carolina. In addition to Rick’s demanding career, he is a sponsored endurance athlete and a professional bicycle mechanic, offering a ‘clinical’ approach to his work.
Rick pictured with the wheels he built for his Dean – DT XR331 rims, Chris King R45D hubs and DT Competition spokes.
Ritchey Comp handlebars with Dean Titanium stem, SRAM Force 10-speed shifters and Chris King headset in “Sour Apple”.
A nice titanium bike deserves a matching titanium stem.
Pictured above, the rarely seen Middleburn crankset with 50 / 34 chainrings. Hidden from view is the White Industries square taper bottom bracket. An old technology by today’s standard, square taper cranks and bottom brackets are still among the best for reliability and ease of maintenance.
Hybridized derailleurs – Shimano CX70 front, SRAM Force, medium cage, at the rear.
In 10-speed or 11-speed, the 11-32 cassette is one of the most versatile cassettes going, and perfect for use on gravel. Rick sticks to 10-speed for his Dean Torrey.
Handbuilt wheels are nice, but they are even nicer if you built them yourself.
Enve Cross disc brake fork, 12mm thru-axle.
DT Swiss XR331 rims, paired to the renown Maxxis Rambler 700c x 40mm tires – configured tubeless.
TRP’s mechanically actuated Spyre SLC brakes, paired to TRP rotors. Note the Wright style dropouts and unique post mount for the rear brake.
Saddles are a personal choice. Rick has been brand-loyal and sworn by Koobi saddles since first trying one in 1998. All of Rick’s “Sleds” are topped with a Koobi.
Rick Weigert’s DEAN Torrey Cross / Gravel Bike:
- Frame: DEAN Torrey Cross, custom-built by Ari Leon.
- Fork: Enve Cross Fork Disc, 12mm thru-axle.
- Headset: Chris King in “Sour Apple”.
- Stem: DEAN Titanium, 80mm.
- Handlebar: Ritchey Comp.
- Bar Tape: Lizard Skin.
- Brakes: TRP Spyre mechanical disc.
- Brake Rotors: TRP Spyre.
- Brake / Shift Levers: SRAM Force 10-speed mechanical.
- Front Derailleur: Shimano CX70.
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM Force 10-speed mechanical, medium cage.
- Cassette: SRAM PG1070 10-speed 11-32.
- Chain: KMC X-10 10-speed.
- Crankset: Middleburn with 50 / 34 chainrings.
- Bottom Bracket: White Industries, JIS Square Taper.
- Pedals: Time ATAC, Carbon / Titanium Spindle.
- Wheelset: Chris King R45D, DT Competition Spokes, DT XR331 Rims tubeless.
- Tires: Maxxis Rambler, 700c x 40mm.
- Saddle: Koobi “Enduro AU”.
- Seatpost: DEAN Titanium, 27.2mm.
- Collar: Salsa “Lip Lock”.
- Bottle Cages: King Cage Titanium.
If you own a unique gravel bike you’d like to see featured on Gravel Cyclist, please contact us.