A new player in the world of travel bikes is NDVR Cycle, a company whose goal is delivering the world’s finest titanium travel bike. JOM of the Gravel Cyclist crew has been a long-time advocate of bikes of this nature, proving the worth of his Ritchey Breakaway gravel travel rig in both hemispheres of Planet Earth.
But these dedicated travel bikes aren’t just for travel. JOM has proven they make fine everyday riders. In the case of his steel Breakaway, there is no perceptible difference in ride quality between a regular steel frame and one that breaks into two pieces for convenient and no bollocks airline fees travel.
NDVR manufactures custom-built, made in the USA frames – in a collaborative project with the folks at Lynskey Titanium in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The team behind NDVR consists of bike enthusiasts and adventurers who are passionate about experiencing the world on two-wheels – and helping you save a little travel money in the process.
About the Bike
NDVR’s gravel travel bike utilizes the patented frame-breaking technology behind the Ritchey Breakaway. JOM of the Gravel Cyclist crew provided a detailed review of the Breakaway and its disassembly and assembly process. The NDVR utilizes that same process, but with claimed improvements to the travel case – and a faster assembly time.
The current design for NDVR has been finalized and the initial prototypes have been built. The company has already laid out their future production and supply chain plan based on domestic manufacturing in the U.S.A.
Technical Bike Details:
- Lifetime warranty.
- Handmade in the USA by the world’s best fabricators, craftsmen, and welders.
- American made 3/2.5 titanium size specific tubeset, which increases the frame stiffness for great handling and power transfer.
- All roads – ready to ride geometry – with unbeatable ride quality.
- Ritchey Breakaway hybrid coupling system for simple assembly.
- Premium brushed finish and etched graphics.
- Integrated tapered head tube 1.125 in. to 1.5 in. for uncompromising braking and handling.
- Internal routing shifter ports are electronic group and seat post battery mounting ready.
- Flat mount rear disc brake, 160mm rotor recommended.
- Replaceable rear derailleur hanger.
- Thru-axle front and rear.
- Rack and fender mounts.
- Standard English threaded 68mm bottom bracket.
- Seatpost diameter 27.2mm, 350mm recommended.
- Seat tube outer diameter (front derailleur clamp size) 34.9mm.
- Wheel size 700c / 29 inch.
- Accepts tire width up to 700c x 40mm.
- Rear Spacing 142mm.
- 1x, 2x, or 3x drive system ready.
Note from JOM: We expect the NDVR complete bikes to feature mechanical disc brakes. Unless one of our viewers knows otherwise, a hydraulic brake line that can be split and rejoined does not exist. However, TRP HY/RD mechanical / hydraulic brake would make for an excellent alternative.
- Premium full carbon fork, steerer tube, crown, blades and dropout.
- Full carbon tapered steerer 1.125 in. to 1.5 in. and 15mm thru-axle provides perfect stability.
- Integrated carbon crown race.
- Fork rake of 45mm for excellent handling on all terrain.
- Post mount disc compatible.
- Weight 467gm.
- Steerer length 300mm.
- 160mm rotor recommended.
- Materials and fabrics are sourced and handcrafted in the USA.
- Premium quality.
- Minimalist, discrete design.
- Airline legal measurements – 26″x26″x 10″.
- Offers style, protection for bike, wheels, accessories.
- Backpack, carry handles, shoulder strap for carry options.
- Internal compartments for kit and accessory stowage.
- Reinforced side wall with multi-density foam assure the highest protection
- High quality double stitched ballistics nylon construction -1000d Cordura nylon, Urethane-Ether foam, and strategically placed inserts of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) plastic Allows for the convenient storage and customization afforded by a soft-shell design, along with the added protection of a hard case.
- Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870.
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070.
- XTR Di2 9050 1x.
- SRAM Red eTap.
Additionally, there are many wheel, tyre and cockpit options to choose from.
JOM of Gravel Cyclist may be reviewing the NDVR gravel travel bike in the future… watch this space!
For more details, check out the Kickstarter for NDVR’s gravel travel bike.