“Alachua was established in 1884 on a railroad line after the railroad had bypassed nearby Newnansville. Alachua got a post office in 1887 and was incorporated as a city on 12 April 1905, at which time it had a population of 526 people.” – Wikipedia.org
The largest Hare Krishna community in the Western Hemisphere is located in Alachua, with satellite communities throughout North Florida (not featured in this video).
“The present-day area of High Springs was first settled on a permanent basis by English-speaking people during the late 1830s. One of the earliest settlements in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles east of present-day High Springs. Settlers who were living there during the 1840s included Fernando Underwood and Marshal Blanton. A discernible town began to develop in the early 1880s after the Savannah, Florida & Western Railway was constructed and several phosphate mines were established. In 1888 the local post office changed its name from Orion to High Springs, and the town was officially incorporated in 1892. The town had a population of over 1,500 at the end of the 1890s and was the second-largest by population in the county.”
In this video, JOM of the Gravel Cyclist crew stooges about the countryside on a recovery ride, that may have spanned more than one day!
Links of Interest:
- City of Alachua, Florida – http://cityofalachua.com
- High Springs Historical Society (High Springs Museum) – http://www.highspringsmuseum.org
- High Springs Brewing Company – http://highspringsbrewing.com
- City of High Springs, Florida – http://highsprings.us
- High Springs Playhouse – http://highspringsplayhouse.com