Jay Petervary doesn’t need much of an introduction. He’s a legend in the world of endurance cycling, the gnarlier the better, and hosts his own event, JayP’s Backyard Gravel Pursuit – he’s also a Salsa sponsored athlete and top bloke!
JOM of the Gravel Cyclist crew caught up with Jay the day before the inaugural unPAved for a rundown of his Salsa Warbird Prototype (now in Production as Version 4).
Thanks for watching!
More Photos of Jay P’s Carbon Prototype Salsa Warbird V4
Shifting is provided by Shimano’s uber reliable Ultegra mechanical / hydraulic brake drivetrain.
Jay P is a fan of 2x / double chainring drivetrains. He relied on absoluteBLACK’s excellent sub-compact 46/30 chainring pairing (see our comprehensive review of these chainrings here) to get over the climbs at unPAved (Gravel Cyclist’s race report and video are coming soon!) and recently, in Kyrgyzstan (Silk Road Mountain Race).
Above, the drive-side dropdown chainstay has been a popular feature on gravel bikes of recent times.
The photo above doesn’t show it well, but there is generous tyre clearance on the Salsa Warbird version 4.
For unPAved Pennsylvania, Jay chose Teravails’ Cannonball tyre in 700c x 35mm. That was a good choice for this course, barring the rock garden climb and descent, where bigger tyres were better. Jay did end up puncturing his front tyre on this section, which is always better than puncturing the rear!
Above, the seldom seen Salsa Cycles Regulator titanium seatpost. Measuring 27.2mm x 410mm and available in 0mm or 25mm setback, this post offers a nice amount of flex to provide a little plush to the rear end of the bike.
Jay Petervary’s Salsa Warbird Prototype – Now in Production as Version 4.
- Frame: Salsa Warbird Prototype carbon.
- Fork: Salsa Waxwing carbon with 12mm thru-axle.
- Headset: Cane Creek 40.
- Stem: FSA SL-K 80mm.
- Handlebar: Salsa Woodchipper carbon, 46cm.
- Bar Tape: Salsa, double wrapped.
- Brakes: Shimano Ultegra hydraulic flat-mount.
- Brake Rotors: Shimano XTR 160mm front and rear.
- Brake / Shift Levers: Shimano 8000 series Ultegra Mechanical 2 x 11-speed, hydraulic braking.
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 8000 series Mechanical 11-speed.
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 8000 series Mechanical 11-speed.
- Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 8000 series 11-34 11-speed.
- Chain: Shimano Ultegra 11-speed.
- Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 8000 series with absoluteBLACK 46/30 chainrings.
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra BB86 Pressfit.
- Pedals: iSSi SPD compatible.
- Wheelset: Industry Nine TRA 700c.
- Tires: Teravail Cannonball 700c x 35mm, tubeless.
- Saddle: WTB High Tail.
- Seatpost: Salsa Cycles Regulator titanium 25mm setback.
- Bottle Cages: Salsa Cycles Nickless Stainless Steel.
Jay Petervary – https://jaypetervary.com
Jay P’s Gravel Pursuit – https://gravelpursuit.com
Salsa Cycles – https://salsacycles.com