About Matter Cycles
“Matter Cycles is a small, handmade bicycle company based out of Lyons, Colorado. Matter specializes in really fun bikes—made to get rowdy—using progressive geometry, rock solid construction, high-end materials, clean lines and great customer support!’
Founder and sole employee, Collin Schaafsma, took to frame building over five years ago. Since that time, Colin has been building custom, made-to-order frames from his shop in Boulder, Colorado. Part of Colin’s customer service experience is gathering requirements and forming a connection with the owner. This enables Colin to better understand the customer’s wants and needs, and produce a bike that will last a lifetime.
This example of the Matter Cycles Wolfbeard now resides in Sydney, Australia. You cannot help but notice the smile on the face of owner Marco; it’s pretty obvious he’s pretty stoked with ownership of this unique bike.
Marco’s Wolfbeard is a mix of True Temper and Columbus steel tubing, built to his exacting specifications.
Single chainring / 1x drivetrains are gaining popularity, but Marco has chosen the venerable double chainring combination, namely Shimano’s rock-solid Ultegra crankset fitted with 46 / 36 chainrings.
The rear derailleur is Shimano’s Ultegra mid-cage mechanical model, paired with an 11-32 cassette. Marco has been known to ride in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, where this setup will come in pretty handy.
The wheelset on Marco’s Wolfbeard was built by Wheelworks in New Zealand, centered around White Industries disc brake hubs with spokes laced to Pacenti SL23 rims.
The disc brake Enve fork is painted to match the Wolfbeard’s lovely paint. TRP 140mm rotors are fitted front and rear.
At the time these photos were taken, Bruce Gordon Rock n’ Road tyres were fitted. These little beauties measure 700c x 43mm but Marco’s Wolfbeard has room for 650b x 2.1″ tyres.
Even when coated with a smidge of dirt and grime, tan sidewalls add a touch of class to any bike.
Beneath the Thomson stem resides a Chris King headset, befitting for a bike such as the Matter Wolfbeard.
Handlebars are 3T Ergonovo’s and shifting is courtesy of Shimano’s Ultegra 11-speed mechanical / hydraulic brake shifters. King titanium cages carry Marco’s on-bike fluids.
Marco Cailao’s Matter Cycles Wolfbeard Steel Gravel Bike:
- Frame: Matter Wolfbeard, Columbus and True Temper steel tubing.
- Fork: Enve Cross Disc Fork.
- Headset: Chris King.
- Stem: Thomson.
- Handlebar: 3T Ergonova.
- Bar Tape: Unknown.
- Brakes: Shimano hydraulic, post-mount.
- Brake Rotors: TRP, 140mm front and rear.
- Brake / Shift Levers: Shimano Ultegra hydraulic/mechanical 11-speed.
- Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 11-speed.
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 11-speed mid-cage.
- Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-speed 11-32.
- Chain: Shimano Ultegra.
- Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 11-speed with 46 / 36 chainrings.
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace external cup.
- Pedals: Shimano XT.
- Wheelset: Custom built by Wheelworks New Zealand – White Industries disc brake hubs, Pacenti SL23 rims.
- Tires: Bruce Gordon Rock n’ Road, 700c x 43mm.
- Saddle: Brooks Cambium C15.
- Seatpost: Thomson Elite, zero setback.
- Bottle Cages: King Titanium.
If you own a unique gravel bike you’d like to see featured on Gravel Cyclist, please contact us.